background

Monday, November 5, 2007

Germany: Part 2


Our second day in Germany we went on a tour of the Neuschwanstein castle. This was King Ludwig's castle. The foundation stone was laid in 1869, and in 1884 the King moved in. The Gateway building was built first and he lived in that for a number of years. I was told that this castle was Walt Disney's inspiration for the Disney castle. Hence the nickname the, "Disney Land castle".
When we got here we hiked up to where the bridge is, which is where this picture was taken. The view was great. We could see the castle, the mountains, and the cute little town just below the castle. Afterward, we walked to the castle where we got to tour the inside! It was pretty neat! There was so much to learn! The King lived in this castle until he died in 1886. So, he only lived here for about 2 years, and it still was not complete at his death. Once the tour of the castle was over we hiked down below the bridge. It was beautiful... Saturday night we found a Ward that we were going to try and attend-meaning if we could find it! Luckily, with the help of a man, we found the way and made it to Sunday school and sacrament. We were blessed to be there on a sunday when there were enough English speaking people to have our own little English Sunday school class. One of the missionaries told me this type of thing never happens. Michelle and I both had the same idea. Here we had visited all these amazing Cathedrals, beautiful buildings, etc. but nothing could compare to what we were able to experience and feel in that small little room. The spirit was so strong, and it was great to be able to be in there with two investigators; having them share with us their testimonies!

4 comments:

Amy said...

What an amazing trip, Jamie!! Talk about chance of a lifetime! I love all your photos too!

Haylee said...

I finally had time to read about your adventures! AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING is all I can say! That castle is soooo cool. I can't wait to see more pictures. SIGH I'm jelous, I want to GO!!!

Abby said...

Jamie- that is so awesome!! Don't you love when your testimony gets stronger by simple little experiences like that--well it wasn't so simple for you since you were in a church building in GERMANY! Sheesh! But still- I love it. What a fabulous memory to always have!
Hey- we need to plan our reunion sometime- Charlie gets back in March/April? Right? Hmm.. we'll see

David Peter said...

Jaime look at this! I am actaully posting a comment. It looks like you had an incredible time in Europe.