As many of you know Nate and I were married in the Salt Lake, Latter-Day Saint temple. Most of you know what temples are and why we go to them as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. However, for those of you who do not, I wish to explain why Nate and I got married there, and why we, as a Church, built temples.I refer now to a post that I wrote two years ago, while I was taking a New Testament class in college.
I am taking a New Testament class this semester, and one thing we have learned about is the sigificants of mountains. They were often used back then for the same purpose as Temples are used today. After the Savior was baptized he went up into the mountains to pray..
Keeping this in mind in Isaih 2:2-3 it says, "And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the moutains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the moutain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths..."
The former President of BYU-Idaho said the following,
The Prophet Joseph Smith declared that in all ages the divine purpose of gathering the people of God is to build temples so His children can receive the highest ordinances and thereby gain eternal life.
The Prophet Joseph Smith declared that in all ages the divine purpose of gathering the people of God is to build temples so His children can receive the highest ordinances and thereby gain eternal life.
Another quote, sorry I like quotes! This one is from Russell M. Nelson,
The noblest yearning of the human heart is for a marriage that can endure beyond death. Fidelity to a temple marriage does that. It allows families to be together forever.
This goal is glorious...To make this goal possible, our Heavenly Father has restored priesthood keys in this dispensation so that essential ordinances in His plan can be performed by proper authority.
This goal is glorious...To make this goal possible, our Heavenly Father has restored priesthood keys in this dispensation so that essential ordinances in His plan can be performed by proper authority.
We build temples because we are commanded to do so. This is not a new concept, it was around when Christ established His church on the earth. We go there to learn, to make promises, and to have what we bind on earth to be bound in heaven (Matthew 18:18) and through that restored Priesthood, or the power to act in God's name, this is possible.
San Diego, Ca temple
http://www.lds.org/temples/purpose/0,11298,1897-1,00.html
5 comments:
I love you Jamie and Nate! Loved the post and the pictures too
Hi Jamie!!!!!!! I'm so glad you commented on my blog! I look at your blog from time to time but I'm always afraid to comment so yay, now we can be blogging friends too =) Congrats on getting married, you two make one gorgeous couple =) Sounds like you are doing wonderfully!
what a great post and a good way to share your testimony.
Loved the post, Jamie! Very beautiful! Mark & I will be in San Diego this weekend and after seeing the San Diego Temple on your blog, I really want to go see the temple now! It looks gorgeous!
I posted more pics of my Utah trip on my blog...check them out if you're interested. I'm happy to see you're doing so well!
Thanks Jamie.... This is an interesting read... REALLY!!!!! so.. I have a question... the scripture from Isiah... are we supposed to build Temples up in the mountains.. I have read in revelation, I believe, that in the end day.. we are to flee to the mountain tops... this would be during the destroying of earth... anyway.. is this a literal thing... cuz' I don't get it.. I mean building temples on mountains & stuff.. just wondering..thanks ..Cheryl
Post a Comment